Today we are going to determine whether or not you’re able to use your EBT card at Costco. If you are not familiar with Costco it’s a membership only warehouse club that provides a wide selection of merchandise in bulk sizes at a discounted rate. Costco memberships are perfect for families or those who like to buy in bulk and have stock for a period of time. Costco sells a variety of items such as electronics, computers, furniture, outdoor living, appliances, jewelry, household items and of course, food. There are more than 705 Costco warehouse stores nationwide – making whether Costco accepts EBT one of our most frequently asked questions. Keep reading to find out!
Can I use my EBT card at Costco?
The moment you’v been waiting for – can I use my EBT card at Costco? Well, the answer is yes, you can! All Costco stores nationwide accept EBT cards as a form of payment. To redeem Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits at Costco using your EBT card, simply select the items you wish to purchase as normal and checkout at any of their available point-of-sale terminals. You can use your EBT card just like a normal debit card at the point-of-sale terminal. Once you swipe your card, you’ll be prompted to enter your 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN). You must have this information in order to complete the transaction. Also, be sure to only select eligible food items when redeeming SNAP benefits at Costco using your EBT card.
Not sure which items are eligible to be purchased using your EBT benefits? Check out the list below.
- Bread and cereal
- Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.)
- Fresh, Frozen and Canned Fruits
- Fresh, Frozen and Canned Vegetables
- Seafood (fish, shellfish, etc.)
- Poultry (chicken breast, chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks, turkey breast, etc.)
- Pork products (pork chops, pork tenderloin, bacon, pork sausage, etc.)
- Red Meat (steak, ground beef, ribs, etc.)
- Dessert Items (ice cream, brownies, cookies, etc.)
- Candy (Snickers, M&M’s, etc.)
- Soft Drinks & Energy Drinks (Pepsi, Sprite, Red Bull, etc.)
- Snack Crackers and Chips (Doritos, Wheat Thins, Ritz Crackers, etc.)
- Cooking Oils (olive oil, vegtable oil, coconut oil, etc.)
- Seeds, Nuts and Plants (cashews, peanut butter, etc.)
Your EBT card cannot be used to purchase food from the hot food bar and/or food court from Costco. More items that cannot be purchased at Costco using your EBT card include vitamins, medicine, household products, cleaning supplies, alcohol, tobacco, prepared food, feminine products and cosmetics. Check out our other posts to see if EBT cards are accepted at Walmart, Sam’s Club, Target, Trader Joe’s, Kroger, 7-11, Whole Foods, Subway and more!
We hope this post was helpful to you. If you would like us to find out whether more retailers accept EBT or not, please leave your suggestions in the comment section below. We love to hear from you!